Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Joomla

I have to be honest and say I was a little nervous about this assignment after hearing the complaints from my classmates. I found that using Joomla was a frustrating experience for me. From the beginning of the assignment when I had to watch an almost two hour video before starting. The video was informative and covered what we would need to complete the assignment. However, I found myself having to go back to it when I forgot certain parts. I think it would be better if the video was broken into three or four parts to separated into section like creating Articles.

My actual website turned out fairly well. I don't know if it was just me , but Joomla seemed like a sensitive piece of software. It would slow down and seemed glitchy at times. Other than that Joomla is obviously very complex. I was able to the basics but I don't think it is as intuitive as sites such a wordpress or blogger. I understand that blogs and websites are different but Joomla seems overly difficult sometimes.  I do like that you the ability to customize so easily but was surprised by how users have to mainly look outside of Joomla for what I think is basic content.

Lastly, I think my previous experience in Dr. Yang's information Architecture class also effected the way I approached this assignment. I was mostly positive at first. However, after creating a website with HTML and making my own headers and editing HTML I was bothered by minor issues like  banner not being where I wanted. When I did look at the HTML on the Joomla pages I recognized most of it, but there were parts that I didn't completely understand. All in all it was good assignment. It definitely challenged me and  introduced to me to something that I was not aware of. I liked the final outcome.


After reading about my trials, please view my Joomla:http://mgrammont7500.cloudaccess.net/



2 comments:

  1. Your Joomla! is as elegant as Ishiguro's prose, Melissa! I love it when people share their favorite writers. And green is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael! You obviously have great taste. I'm glad you thought my Joomla was elegant. I was trying to do Mr. Ishuguro justice by making a clean simple site.

    ReplyDelete